Tuesday, August 25, 2009

As Long As You Are Glorified

I'm really glad someone else has written about this song, because usually I can't find Sovereign Grace lyrics online. But another blogger posted and commented on this song. It came to my mind a few minutes ago.

Shall I take from Your hand Your blessings
Yet not welcome any pain
Shall I thank You for days of sunshine
Yet grumble in days of rain
Shall I love You in times of plenty
Then leave You in days of drought
Shall I trust when I reap a harvest
But when winter winds blow, then doubt

Oh let Your will be done in me
In Your love I will abide
Oh I long for nothing else as long
As You are glorified

Are You good only when I prosper
And true only when I’m filled
Are You King only when I’m carefree
And God only when I’m well
You are good when I’m poor and needy
You are true when I’m parched and dry
You still reign in the deepest valley
You’re still God in the darkest night

Bridge: So quiet my restless heart, quiet my restless heart
Quiet my restless heart in You

This is such a comforting song when it comes down to, well, anything. If you're sad or discouraged, feeling like you've failed or haven't anything to show for your faith or service, it is so good to remember that one basic thing we can and should focus on is just bringing glory to God. This song reminds us to abide in Him (more specifically, the song says in His love). That's something I've been trying to learn recently. The song takes us through good and bad situations and asks the rhetorical questions of "Are You good only when...?" "Are You true only when...?" "Are You King only when...?" etc. To sum it up, the verses ask whether God is still everything He says He is in joyful, glad times, terrible, heat-breaking times, and even empty, numb times. And He is. "Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures through all generations. The LORD is faithful to all His promises and loving toward all He has made." Psalm 145:13. I love that verse (I say that sentence with every word emphasized!). It's so reassuring. *Sigh* of happiness :). Thank You Lord for being completely constant even when we're so up and down.

No comments:

Post a Comment