Friday, June 5, 2009

Feminism and Christianity?

After having a brief conversation with a friend about Biblical positions in families, I decided to look more into this idea. Most Christians are aware of the fact that God made the husband's role a leading one. The wife is to be submissive to her husband. I searched Google for some verses on this topic, and the results were a bit surprising! Some may consider it "old-fashioned" for the wife to be second in command to her husband. But the verses describing the Biblical family hierarchy and other dynamics are interesting. Let's look at some! 

1 Corinthians 11:3 ~ "But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God."
The first two parts of this verse apply pretty directly to what we're talking about. The basic biblical picture of this is: the husbands submit to Christ, and the wives submit to the husbands. Indirectly (and directly of course, since wives also have a personal relationship with Christ) wives submit to Christ by submitting to their husbands. 

1 Peter 3:7 ~ "Likewise, husbands, love with your wives in a understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered."
WOW. "Weaker vessels." Now, I am NOT of a feminist leaning by any means... but if you're a woman, doesn't that tempt you to be even a little bit annoyed? It does for me! But this is the Bible. I'm not exactly sure what "weaker vessels" is referring to, but the emotional and physical state of women comes to mind. But I know not all people fit into those stereotypes. Either way, this is a really neat verse. It calls husbands to love their wives "in an understanding way." 

Ephesians 5:25 ~ "Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her." 
This is such a profound picture - an example for everyone, but especially husbands and wives to look to. And although husbands are called to lead and be the head of their family, they are called to be as Jesus to them. 

These are just my thoughts and inductions on these verses... I'm not claiming to be a theologian ;). But another thing I was thinking about: after reading these verse, and knowing these things, is it wrong for Christian woman to believe themselves equal to their husbands? I think yes, it is wrong. While women obviously should not stand for unjust or cruel abuse and prejudice, we cannot think ourselves in authority to men. The Bible puts us second in command. If this strikes you as profoundly unrighteous, it may help to remember that God calls husbands to love and serve their wives as Christ did... NOT be evil dictators over them.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Lindsay. There are two main views in evangelicalism about the role of women: complementarian and egalitarian. The Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood has a nice summary of the two views.

    http://www.cbmw.org/Resources/Articles/Summaries-of-the-Egalitarian-and-Complementarian-Positions

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very interesting, Lindsay Anne. About being "annoyed" about the women being the "weaker vessel". I think women should strive to realize the truth in that statement... I mean, for some reason, it's really very easy for me to accept the fact that women are the "weaker vessel". It doesn't bother me at all. And I think that's because I know it's true for me, personally. It just seems so obvious (to me) that men are stronger, and that they are expected to take on certain responsibilities. You see it every day. Also, I'm not sure though about what you said later... did you mean wives should not consider themselves equal to their husbands, or women should not consider themselves equal to men? I think there is a difference. But anyway, we may not be as strong (as I already said I have most easily acceted) but we are just as smart, and as capable in many areas. I agree that we are second in command... but I was wondering if you could clarify exactly what you meant for it to be wrong to consider yourself equal, and in which area. I do beleive it's wrong to consider yourself in authority to your husband... but is it neccessarily wrong to think yourself equal? You both take care of the household, together. The husband may be the leader of the household... but what you said is still confusing. Should we consider ourselves unequal in every area when it comes to men, or just some? But anyway, I'd appreciate it if you clarified some of that stuff for me :) Thanks! This made me think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Grace! I TOTALLY agree with you - whenever people have had a problem with the whole "weaker vessel" thing.... I haven't really cared. However, that verse could be taken as offensive to some ;). About the whole whether we're "equal" thing... I'm not really sure. I know God calls wives to let their husbands be the head of the family, but at the same time the husband should still be as humble as the wife, and caring, and etc. I actually don't know that much on this subject but I still wanted to write on it for some reason. You should read the article Miss Hidey posted up there too :) I haven't yet but it looks thorough on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think women are definitely equals with their husbands, but they are called to different roles. Not the stereotypical 1950's housewife kind of way, but in a spiritual sense; men are supposed to lead and women to provide support. But I don't think this makes them unequal, just not leaders in a marriage. The verse about "weaker vessels" should definitely be read in context for it make more sense.
    Thumbs up for exploring controversial issues!

    ReplyDelete