Monday, June 15, 2009

Library Books, YA?


Right now I'm sitting in a public library of my county. I looove the library. I love putting books on hold online and then picking them up next time I get a chance to stop and pick them up. I love the atmosphere of quietness and the fact that on occasion I can find books I never expected to.

But I was actually just thinking about where I'm sitting. I'm sitting behind a desk of four computers, in the Young Adult, or, YA section. Obviously I have enjoyed books from this section before. Many good ones come from this section. But good books in this area are hard to find unless someone has recommended one to me, or I find a book by an author I already know. Then I'm safe. In this case, I'm referring to "good book" as a book that is appropriate enough for me to feel okay reading. I know in reality that it takes a lot more than cleanliness to make a fictional book "good." But for now.

You probably can't tell what books are in the picture I posted, but let me tell you a few titles. (By the way, sorry about the quality; webcam.) Here are just a few that are within my view:
1. Vampire Beach Ritual
2. Teen Queens and Has-Beens
3. What if... Your Past Came Back to Haunt You
4. The Hollywood Sisters: On Location
5. Dial for Loser
6. Drama High: Courtin' Jade
And... yeah. There are others, possibly even a few that I could read...? Maybe even one that I listed is decent, and I shouldn't judge it by its cover. But there are so many books that look like garbage. It's kind of scary.

I've read the first three Twilight Saga books, and no, I really don't want to argue about Twilight, but let me just us this as an example: those three books succeeded in prompting me to think lustful thoughts. I didn't read the fourth; I heard those matters only got worse. These library books look like they would have the same effect. Probably worse.

Girls like to wish themselves to be romanced someday. Many of us like to think that we are princesses and someday a prince will "carry us away." If we choose to read these kinds of books, we're negatively feeding this natural desire that we carry in our hearts. I'm not saying all romance books are evil; but, from what I'm seeing there is definitely a temptation and danger for girls right here.

Perhaps if you are reading this post you'd like to comment and suggest more wholesome but still enjoyable books for teen girls? :). It would be greatly appreciated by me and anyone else who seeks better books.

8 comments:

  1. I suggest Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights... romances, but so much more of a good example. The Scriptures give an anchor...a rock.

    Hm. Any of the classics, The Scarlet Letter, Portrait of a Lady, The Narnia Series, The Lord of The Rings...

    So many good books out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! do I ever know what you're talking about! Not so much about teen books with adult content or whatever, but the overarching problem of libraries promoting STUPID BOOKS! Cookie cutter books that all have the same stupid premises and no deeper meaning. What really bothers is that librarians and libraries recommend these books because they figure that teen girls will only read books about other teen girls who have lots of money adn lots of sex. Now, my definition of a "okay" book might different than yours, but here's a list of books I've read recently that have really made my think differently and have been really good reads:

    Paper towns by John Green (also Looking for Alaska by him, but you probably would say it's innopropriate)

    Flipped by Wendelin van Draanen (READ THIS! made me cry and reminds me a lot of Stargirl)

    The Kite Runner and A Thousand Spelendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (Again, I cried, a lot but wow they were really powerful, they're kind of explicit but more as in providing an accurate picture of life in Afghanistan for a woman, great insights into a completely different religion and culture that I didn't know a lot about. I read them with my Mom and we loved them.)

    Speak and Winter Girls by Laurie Halse Anderson ( Speak is AMAZING and very very true, haven't finished Winter Girls yet but it's a great read)

    Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (So sad! very very sweet, again very thought-provoking)

    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoulti (probably a little too much language for your liking but really a very powerful story, very very sad, I can't wait to see the movie!)

    I think that's it, none of these books are really in your normal vein, but really, try out a few, i think you'd like them!

    haha i wrote waaaay too much :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, thanks Hannah and Emily! Emily, I have already read some of those and Wuthering Heights is next on my list :). And Hannah, I'll definitely look those up... I think we already own some actually!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, definitely classics, I'm big into fantasy, and I have a friend who wrote a book, which is called "Warrior of a Kind" (by Sarah Newell) She was on my missions trip last year, and as I cannot find this book at my library she told me most of the story in an e-mail, so hopefully you will have more luck. (also her website is http://www.sarahnewellbooks.com)

    I think I've mentioned this on facebook, but they are my FAVORITES so, there is series called "The Door within" by Wayne Thomas Batson (who is from MD), all three are EXCELLENT (Titles-"The Door Within","The Rise of the Wyrm Lord", and "The Final Storm")

    Anything by George Macdonald, especially "the Back of the North Wind", "Princess and the Goblin" and 's sequel the "Princess and her Curdie".

    Another Series by Sherwood Smith, First one is "Crown Duel" Second is "Court Duel".

    "The Gammage Cup" by Carol Kendall (there is a second book called the whisper of Golcken, but I personally think the other is better)

    "The Silver Crown" by Robert C. O'Brien

    If you are looking for any romance book, Jannette Oke, all of her's are GREAT.

    Also good romance are the "O'Mally Series" By Dee Henderson. The Prequel is Danger in the Shadows so start with that one :) there I think Seven in all...(she also has a book called the Marriage wish that made me cry but it is so good so read that too if you like.)

    And both of them are Christian authors so you won't have to worry about much.

    There is one more series that I really like Called the Scottish Crown Series. I never found the first one but I read the other three, which were all great. HOwever, there is one scene in the second book which is a mistake made by the heroine, but again it is written by a Christian author, and it's the only iffy problem I have and even then it is slight. (All four Titles are "A Circle of Honor", The Price Of Freedom", "the Mark of Salvation" and "The Promise of Peace" and they are by Carol Umberger)

    I love Books so this is only a slight list, there are many, many more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow thanks Emily! :D
    I and whoever reads this will have many reccommended books to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Princess Academy
    Ella Enchanted (mostly anything by Gail Carsen Levine)
    The Goose Girl
    The Squire's Tale (and any from that whole series -- Gerald Morris)
    Anything by Francine Rivers
    I have also enjoyed Terri Blackstock
    Chronicles of Prydain (The Book of Three, The Black Cauldron, The Castle of Llyr, Taran Wanderer, and The High King--by Lloyd Alexander) I read these for the first time when I was in elementary school and loved them. I still love them today.
    Anne of Green Gables -- A MUST READ (the whole series, there are eight). When I was a youth leader in the early 90's, a bunch of girls in the youth group read the Anne of Green Gables series and were really into them. One of the girl's parents actually took her to Prince Edward Island. So cool!
    Loved the Mitford Series, but not sure if it would appeal to a teenager.
    Read a lot of Madeline L'Engle when I was young and her books were very meaningful to me. Read "Meet the Austins". It's about a girl named Vicky Austen. You will love her. Then there are a few sequals. I own just about every book that Madeline L'Engle ever wrote (she wrote "A Wrinkle In Time"--that's a good one, too, but I like the Austin Family series even better.) Anyway, I actually have a signed copy of "Meet the Austins" and "A Wrinkle in Time".
    I have enjoyed Karen Kingsbury books, but after a while got tired of them.
    Some of these books I've mentioned are better "literature" than others. Some of them are a quick read and just entertaining, but not great literature. But sometimes I'm just in the mood for something light.
    I would love to hear your opinion of Anne of Green Gables, and of Meet the Austins.

    Guess I should sign off now. Take care!

    -Mrs. Link

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! Reminds me of what Alex and Brett said at the Rebelution conference about not letting non-human companions
    steal your time. I'm not a huge fan of romance, but here's some books I've really enjoyed.

    Boston Jane
    Boston Jane:Wilderness Days

    Boston Jane: The Claim
    by Jennifer L. Holm

    The Two Princessess of Bamarre
    by Gail Carson Levine

    Hero's Song: The First Song of Eirren
    Fire Arrow: The Second Song of Eirren by Edith Pattou

    Goose Chase by Patrice Kindl

    Shadow Spinner by Susan Fletcher

    I can't think of too many good books right now, but I'll let you know when I remember them.

    Happy Reading!

    ~Sierra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gammage Cup is GOOD.
    also
    What Hearts
    Enchantress from the Stars
    Betsey and the Emperor
    A Wrinkle in Time ( I disagree w/ ms. Link, I like the Murrays better than the Austens)
    A tree grows in Broklyn.
    OH! and Betsy/Tacy series by Maud Heart Lovelace. read the whole thing at some pt, but start with Betsy's heaven for now.
    see FB for more.
    Lotus

    ReplyDelete