Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Photography Tidbit - Self Portraits

Today I tried something new with my camera. I sometimes hold my camera in front of myself or myself with friends and snap a photo, but I'd never really tried much of the whole... self-portrait thing. So today I did.

I felt kinda silly. I mean, here I am, setting the self-timer to ten seconds and then dashing to do whatever I had in mind to do. What if someone was watching? Boy, would I feel weird. Besides, I'm never quite sure what facial expression to make. Hence my inexperience in this area...? 

What do you think about self-portraits? My view of them may be better left mostly unspoken, but I generally wonder why people post hundreds of pictures they've taken of themselves. But I am a hypocrite, since I posted a few from my experimenting today on Facebook. Obviously it's not wrong to take and post pictures of yourself, but I'd encourage anyone to check their motives and to make sure their pictures aren't a stumbling block in any way. That being said, I realized it really can be fun to set up shots in interesting places and place yourself in them. 

2 comments:

  1. Haha, LA. I have been taking selfies for five years. This show how vain I am. ;) I have over 200 pictures of myself, more than half of them are useless.

    I think self portraits can be a good thing, and a bad thing all wrapped into one.

    First, they can breed vanity.
    Second, they are pretty much useless, since you already know what you look like and
    Third, Why bother? ;)

    On the other hand self portraits are fun, and can help you find "your good side" whatever that may be.

    ever yours
    e.e.(called Princess or Inoue)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Consider how interesting it will be for your possible children and family to see them one day? What will they learn about you? ~M. Lander

    ReplyDelete