Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Summer - What are we doing?

Everybody is usually one or the other. Either you're the one who becomes even more extra-busy during the summer and are always out, or you're one who sits at home most days, reading and surfing Facebook. Or maybe you're a slight mix - but usually it's easy to put ourselves on one side, more or less.

This summer I think I'm on the homebody side. I have stuff to do on certain weeks such as different camps (yay!!!) and going to the beach (yay again!) but other than that, you can usually find me at my house!

I can hardly imagine how on earth I was functioning during the school year. I had homework and youth group and rehearsal and yadda yadda - all good things! But now I'm thinking, if I'm wasting days so easily now, how on earth did I get all that stuff done a few months ago? And then I'm kinda sad and feel like I should be doing more productive things. 

But really - it IS good to have a break! Spoiled Americans as we are, our constant activities of the school year are indeed tiring, and summer lets us relax for an extended period of time. 

So we do all this stuff during the school year. And it's stressful. But it's fun to do the stuff we do. But then... there are millions of children in the world who have next to nothing. So I feel bad about needing a break from the many privileges I recieve during the year. 

But just as God has those millions of children where He does, He has us in America to live our lives right now. But I still feel bad. I don't understand how I could have so much, and at the same time not be able let go of countless possesions that clutter my room. Like in Mexico - the children would give you nearly anything. I shared with you near the beginning of my blog about the time Veronica brought me a stuffed bear as a present. God does call us to take care of the poor, in many verses. Just read through a few chapters of Proverbs and you're likely to come across one. 

Anyways. I'm mostly talking to other teenagers like me in this post. I guess my point is that it's okay to enjoy summer break and have a great time :). But don't always relax by serving yourself - instead serve the people around you, including and especially your family, particularly if you're like me, sitting around by them most of the day! Also consider in some way how you can share our blessings with children in other countries. I reccommend Compassion Interenational, but there are tons of other organizations that do good work in Jesus' name as well. I'm just most familiar with that one. Compassion reminded their sponsors that while we might be hesitant to give now, especially with our coutry's financial situation, many other countries are suffering from the same deal. And when you add those problems onto poverty, well, it's not good at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment