Sunday, May 17, 2009

Book Review: Between Sundays


Alrighty. Well, that little break in my posts wasn't exactly intentional. I didn't post one day. Or the next, or the next! And then I left for a retreat with my youth group. But I am back now and ready to blog again :)

Today I want to write a review of an AWESOME book I just read! It's called Between Sundays, by Karen Kingsbury. I've read several of her books, including Like Dandelion Dust and the Forever Faithful Series. I started reading one other, but stopped because it was a bit too.... beyond what I care to have in my mind, as far as relationships go. Don't get me wrong, these are awesome and encouraging Christian books, but I guess I'm just not old enough for some yet. 

Without giving away too much... let me tell you a little bit about this book. Cory's mother, Amy, dies when he's just six. Amy's best friend Megan works with her at a diner. After Amy's death, Megan takes Cory in and ends up becoming his official foster mother. Cory insists to Megan that his father is Aaron Hill, the starting 49ers quarterback. Another player on the 49ers team is Derrick Anderson. He has the ideal Christian family. This book - I couldn't put it down! I loved the characters and loved reading it. The thing I really admire about these books especially is how Karen Kingsbury incorporates verses (especially in the Forever faithful series) and strong, inspiring Christian characters. The scripture and the faith of the characters slips into your mindset as you read the captivating story. This book did have a typical happy ending... but of that I'm glad :). I definitely recommend this book. I know this review is sparse - but I just don't want to give away anything! Especially if you are a female, you'll most likely enjoy this book like I did (as long as you don't mind predictable endings and occasional sappiness; although I love these things I know some don't ;) ). 



~~Verse~~

Psalm 37:4 (New International Version)

 4 Delight yourself in the LORD 
       and he will give you the desires of your heart.

1 comment: